2015 - Workshop on Hydro Scheduling in Competitive Electricity Markets
Thursday 17 September
09.15: Opening and welcome, Olav B. Fosso, NTNU
09:30: Plenary session #1
- T. Blair, BC Hydro, "Optimizing BC Hydro generation assets using an iterative approach based on system marginal prices"
- T. J. Larsen, Statkraft, "Stochastic short-term scheduling"
- M. E. Maceira, CEPEL, "Stochastic optimization as a supporting tool to analyze the performance of the Brazilian hydrothermal interconnected system under critical inflow scenarios"
- L. Pinto, Engenho, "Uncertainty modeling: the influence of climate dynamics signatures on scheduling and pricing"
12:30: Paper sessions
1A Computational and Methodological Advances in Hydro Scheduling
- U. Brännlund, Powel, "Hotshot and optimization of power swaps"
- G. Warland, SINTEF, "Towards multilevel parallelization in applications for hydro power scheduling – experiences and future challenges"
- N. Löhndorf, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business, "A stochastic model of high-dimensional natural inflows for stochastic-dynamic optimization"
- A. Eichhorn, VERBUND Trading, "Medium-term planning for an alpine hydro storage power system in a market environment by stochastic optimization using the QUASAR stochastic optimizer"
1B Renewable Integration and Hydro Scheduling
- A. L. Henden, SINTEF, "Economic analysis of large-scale pumped storage plants in Norway"
- N. Destro, University of Padova, "Smoothing of offshore wind power variations with Norwegian pumped hydro: A case study"
- I. Guisández, Technical University of Madrid, "Influence of the maximum flow ramping rates on the water value"
- M. Birkedal, NMBU/E-CO, "Determinants of regulated hydro power supply in Norway"
14.30: Paper sessions
2A Hydro Scheduling in Multiple Power Markets
- J. B. Hansen, NTNU, "Profitability of a hydropower producer bidding in multiple markets – A Norwegian case study"
- G. Klæbo, Powel, " Coordinated bidding in Nordic day-ahead and balancing markets"
- M. Chazarra, Technical University of Madrid, "Comparison of different approaches to model the real-time use of the committed secondary regulation reserves in the short-term joint energy and reserve scheduling of a pumped-storage hydropower plant"
- S. Braun, EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG, TU München, "Short-term hydropower storage dispatch with respect to security of supply, feed-in of RES and profitability"
2B Practical Experiences and Best Practices in Hydro Scheduling
- R. Hoffmann, EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG, "Intraday optimization of hydro power plants in the German electricity market"
- E. K. Aasgård, SINTEF, "Comparing bidding methods for hydropower"
- F. Dorn, SINTEF, "Modelling minimum pressure height in short-term hydropower production planning (SHOP)"
- U. Brännlund, Powel, "Hotshot bidding – a stochastic optimization model in operation"
16.30: Plenary session #2
- Birger Mo, SINTEF, "SINTEF research activities on long-term hydrothermal scheduling"
- A. L. Diniz, CEPEL, "Risk-Averse Storage Level Surface (SAR) Applied to Hydrothermal Generation Planning within SDDP Solving Strategy"
- M. Amelin, KTH, "A study of the balancing capability of hydro power systems"
- S. E. Fleten, NTNU, "Bidding hydropower into short-term markets"
18:00: End of day one
18:45: Walking from Britannia to guided tour
19:00: Guided tour through Bakklandet
19:45: Bus or walking to Kvilhaugen Gård
20.00: Dinner Kvilhaugen Gård
Friday 18 September
08.30: Plenary session #3
- J. I. Perez, Technical University of Madrid, "Trends and challenges in the operation of pumped-storage hydropower plants"
- J. Snell, Manitoba Hydro, "A two-stage implicit stochastic optimization method for hydropower systems"
- G. Doorman, Statnett/NTNU, "Importance of good forecasts for the representation of hydro in Flow Based market coupling"
- H. I. Skjelbred, SINTEF, "SINTEF tools for short-term scheduling"
- S. Feltenmark, Powel, "Seasonal planning: a scenario tree implementation"
11:00: Paper sessions
3A Computational and Methodological Advances
- C. T. Larssen, NTNU, "Long-term hydropower and wind coordination in a deregulated electricity market"
- K. Hjertvik, NTNU, "Linear decision rules in seasonal planning for hydropower production"
- E. Gil, Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria, "Short-term hydrothermal generation scheduling using a parallelized stochastic mixed-integer linear programming algorithm"
- S. Püschel, University of Chile, "Hydrothermal coordination model with endogenous irrigation constraints application to the Chilean central interconnected system"
- M. N. Hjelmeland, NTNU, "A case study on medium-term hydropower scheduling with sales of capacity"
3B Renewable Integration and Hydro Scheduling
- O. Wolfgang, SINTEF, "Scheduling when reservoirs are batteries for wind- and solar-power"
- A. Hamann, Carnegie Mellon University, "Integrating variable wind power using a hydropower cascade: A case study"
- M. Fodstad, SINTEF, "Modelling start/stop in short-term multimarket hydropower scheduling"
- Å. Killingtveit, NTNU, "Regional forecasting of generation from small hydropower plants"
- I. Graabak, SINTEF, "Balancing of variable wind and solar production in Continental Europe with Nordic hydropower – A review of simulation studies"
14.00: Paper sessions
4A Computational and Methodological Advances in Hydro Scheduling
- R. R. Erntsen, University of Copenhagen, "Valuation and operation of three types of power plants using continuous time stochastic control models"
- G. Warland, SINTEF, "Stochastic optimization model for detailed long-term hydro thermal scheduling using scenario-tree simulation"
- H. Abgottspon, ETH Zurich, "Multi-horizon modeling"
- A. Marcato, Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, "Hydrothermal system operation planning considering hydroelectrical plant production non-linearities"
4B "Practical Experiences and Best Practices in Hydro Scheduling"
- B. Sønju-Moltzau, NMBU, "Joint use of hydrological modeling and large-scale stochastic optimization techniques applied to the Nordic power system"
- M. Kristiansen, NTNU, "Quantitative analysis of decision parameters – Short term hydropower scheduling"
- F. Vassenden, TrønderEnergi Kraft, "Delay and loss of production water along the Orkla river"
- K. S. Gjerden, SINTEF, "Increased information flow between hydropower scheduling models through extended cut sharing"
15.30: Wrapping up and closing comments
16.00: End of workshop
- Arild Helseth (SINTEF, Norway)
- Michael Belsnes (SINTEF, Norway)
- Magnus Korpås (NTNU, Norway)
- Gaudenz Koeppel (Axpo Trading, Switzerland)
- Andre Diniz (CEPEL, Brazil)
- Anders Gjelsvik (SINTEF, Norway)
- Gerard Doorman (Statnett/NTNU, Norway)
- Jarand Røynstrand (Agder, Norway)
- Juan Ignacio Perez (UPM, Spain)
- Luiz Barosso (PSR, Brazil)
- Mikael Amelin (KTH, Sweden)
- Olav Fosso (NTNU, Norway)
- Stein-Erik Fleten (NTNU, Norway)