This laboratory will be used both in research and development to identify and improve manufacturing unit properties during network failures.
Gemini Centre – Electrical Energy and Energy Systems
The Gemini Centre covers the following areas:
- Planning and operation of energy supply system
- Power System Components for generation, transportation, conversion and use of electrical energy.
The purpose is to further develop joint research groups with high quality to meet industrial needs in research and development of the future sustainable energy system. Through shared strategy processes and a close working partnership, the parties will create results that contribute to innovative solutions for the future electrical energy system.
The research groups have already major research activities in the following areas:
- Methods for planning and operation of energy systems
- Materials and technology for electricity transmission
- Generation and conversion of electrical energy
- Smartgrids, and
- Offshore energy systems
The Gemini Center will strengthen the cooperation between the parties, e.g. through contributing to increased research activity in the following areas:
- Digitization in the energy sector
- Digitalized electric power components (with increased monitoring and control)
- Energy information technology and new market and trading solutions (e.g. Blockchain technology)
- Electrification of transport
- Integration of batteries and energy storage
- New environmentally friendly electrotechnical materials
The joint electric power research groups at NTNU and SINTEF Energi are of considerable size, also on an international scale, and publish and contribute to international research and societal development.
The Gemini Center support NTNU and SINTEF's core areas:
- Basic and strategic research
- Applied contract research
- Entrepreneurship and innovation.
SINTEF Energy Research operates laboratories for high voltage, high power and climatic testing. Customers are manufacturers, suppliers and users of electric power equipment.
ElpowerLab is a national facility for developing technology for electrification and the future power grid infrastructure.
SATS Certification is an association of manufacturers' and independent test laboratories and end user organisations set up according to the guidelines of EN 45011: General requirements for bodies operating product certification systems.
– a vital tool for energy research in Norway
NTNU and SINTEF have built a new National Smart Grid Laboratory in Trondheim with funding from the Research Council of Norway in cooperation with the Artic University of Norway and Smart Innovation Østfold.