To increase the competitiveness and sustainability of European industry the consortium will bring innovative materials and new methods closer to the marked and permitting the establishment of energy infrastructures in areas with harsh climate and environmental conditions at acceptable costs.
This will be achieved by training and exchange of personnel and joint actions with other European projects.
The concept is based on an optimal combination of novel technologies involving customized methodologies for cost-efficient operation.
4 scenarios of severe operating conditions are considered:
- Concrete infrastructure in deep sea, arctic and subarctic zones: Offshore windmills, gravity based structures, bridge piles and harbours
- Concrete and mortar under mechanical fatigue in offshore windmills and sea structures
- Concrete structures in concentrated solar power plants exposed to high temperature thermal fatigue
- Concrete cooling towers subjected to acid attack
The goal will be realized through the development of multifunctional strategies integrated in concrete formulations and advanced stable bulk concretes from optimized binder technologies. A multi-scale show case will be realized towards service-life prediction of reinforced concretes in extreme environments to link several model approaches and launch innovation for new software tools.
In order to improve the durability of concrete for energy infrastructures, it is necessary to understand the current limitations, requirements and challenges for each type of infrastructure.
The durability of sustainable advanced reinforced concrete structures developed, will be proven and validated within LORCENIS under severe operating conditions based on the TRL scale, starting from a proof of concept (TRL 3) to technology validation (TRL 5).
SINTEFs main tasks in the project (WP referred to)
- SINTEF is the Coordinator of LORCENIS (WP1)
- R&D: Optimization of POSS derivatives for modification and reinforcement of bulk concrete (WP2)
- Multifunctional bulk reinforced-concrete materials to operate under severe conditions (WP3)
- Electronic and atomistic modelling, mesoscale modelling, linking of the two. (WP4)
- Proof of durability of infrastructures in the energy sector (WP5)
- Dissemination and exploitation: Electronic portal, publications, training (WP7)
LORCENIS is a well-balanced consortium of multidisciplinary experts from 9 universities and research institutes and 6 industries. The partners are:
- NATIONAL TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS - NTUA, Greece
- HELMHOLTZ-ZENTRUM GEESTHACHT ZENTRUM FUR MATERIAL- UND KUSTENFORSCHUNG GMBH, Germany
- UNIVERSIDADE DE AVEIRO, Portugal
- ACCIONA INFRAESTRUCTURAS S.A., Spain
- CBI Betonginstitutet AB, Sweden
- AGENCIA ESTATAL CONSEJO SUPERIOR DEINVESTIGACIONES CIENTIFICAS Spain
- UNIVERSITEIT GENT, Belgium
- FUNDACION AGUSTIN DE BETANCOURT, Spain
- FUNDACION CIDETEC, Spain
- KVAERNER AS, Norway
- SMALLMATEK - SMALL MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGIES LDA, Portugal
- SIKA TECHNOLOGY AG, Switzerland
- DYCKERHOFF GMBH, Germany
- VATTENFALL AB, Sweden
- CHEMSTREAM BVBA, Belgium
Total cost: EUR 7 970 130
LORCENIS is an EU project in Horizon 2020 under the "Materials for severe operating conditions, including added-value functionalities" topics.
For more information, see the Project website