ELEGANCY – Enabling a Low-Carbon Economy via Hydrogen and CCS
Fast-track the decarbonization of Europe's energy system by exploiting the synergies between two key low-carbon technologies: CCS and H2. To this end, ELEGANCY will:
- Develop and demonstrate effective CCS technologies with high industrial relevance.
- Identify and promote business opportunities for industrial CCS enabled by H2 as a key energy carrier by performing five national case studies.
- Validate key elements of the CCS chain by frontier pilot- and laboratory-scale experiments using inter alia ECCSEL and EPOS research infrastructure.
- Optimize combined systems for H2 production and H2-CO2 separation by combining basic science with the technology developments necessary for increased TRL of these systems.
- De-risk storage of CO2 produced from NG reforming for H2 production by providing experimental data and validated models.
- Enable safe, cost-efficient design and operation of key elements of the CCS chain by developing cutting edge, innovative design and simulation tools.
- Provide an open source techno-economic design and operation simulation tool for the full CCS chain, including H2 as energy carrier.
- Assess societal support of key elements of CCS, enabling early identification and mitigation of risks.
ELEGANCY work packages
The comprehensive ELEGANCY research programme is carried out in six work packages.
- H2 supply chain and H2-CO2 separation
- CO2 transport, injection and storage
- Business case development for H2-CCS integrated chains
- H2-CCS chain tool and evaluation methodologies for integrated chains
- Case studies
- Project management, network building and dissemination
ELEGANCY work breakdown structure.