SINTEF combines Arctic field experience and interdisciplinary expertise in areas such as geotechnics, rock mechanics, building physics, materials technology and concrete technology for development of sustainable solutions for buildings, infrastructure and other facilities in Arctic areas.
Our field equipment and expertise are utilized in a number of studies and investigations, both in Svalbard and in Russia. This includes SINTEF's drilling rig in Longyearbyen, Svalbard and our collaboration with the University of Svalbard, UNIS.
Focus areas for our research and development activities are:
- Arctic coastal technology and erosion protection
- Permafrost and effects of climate change on buildings and infrastructure
- Foundations of building and infrastructure
- Geotechnical surveys, instrumentation and monitoring
- Thermal modelling of permafrost
- Concrete structures in Arctic regions
- Short-travelled materials and alternative material utilization