The main objective of the project was to design the scientific foundation for a framework for efficient, market-based balancing of power systems that can be implemented in multinational (‘regional’ in the wording of the European Commission) power markets.
To support the main objective, the project had the following sub goals:
- Identification of present balancing resources and estimation of balance costs in the Northern part of Europe.
- Identification of the ‘solution space’: what goals would innovative balancing arrangements need to meet, what constraints (technical, economic, institutional or with respect to public policy) apply?
- Analysis of alternative design frameworks for a multi control area balance market.
Estimation of the balancing costs for different arrangements of a multi control area balancing market.
- Support PhD work within 4 selected subjects
- Policy advice: which institutional changes are necessary to realize such a market? Which decisions would need to be taken by whom? What additional information is necessary?
10 October 2014