The Norwegian Ocean Technology Centre will develop new knowledge and technology with the ocean being the common denominator. This will include educating engineers and researchers, basic research, commissioned research and test assignments for Norwegian and international trade and industry.
The Norwegian Ocean Technology Centre will consist of new laboratories at Tyholt in Trondheim, combined with installations out in Trondheimsfjorden, and in the sea off the coast of Hitra, Frøya and Ålesund. The large research infrastructure provides NTNU and SINTEF with the opportunity to offer research, education and innovation that ocean industries require in order to succeed with the restructuring that lies ahead.
The Norwegian Ocean Technology Centre will make contributions in various areas:
- Development and restructuring of the ocean industries in Norway (sustainable value creation and increased competitiveness)
- New jobs in the ocean industries
- Educating future candidates in the ocean industries
- World-leading research communities specialising in ocean space technology
- New innovations
- New businesses
The centre will:
- educate future specialists within the field of ocean space technolog
- ensure that industry and authorities enjoy access to leading expertise and infrastructure associated with the harvesting and management of our oceans
- contribute to effective utilisation of national expertise and increased knowledge through collaboration with Norwegian and foreign institutions and companies
- actively contribute to increased innovation in ocean space technology
- contribute to the restructuring and development of ocean industries
SINTEF and NTNU will be the users of the The Norwegian Ocean Technology Centre, and Statsbygg will be the construction client. The Norwegian Ocean Technology Centre is planned to be built on the site where the Marine Technical Centre is located today, Otto Nielsens vei 10, at Tyholt in Trondheim.
Construction will start in the summer of 2022. A final funding decision will be made by the Norwegian Storting in connection with considerations regarding the national budget for 2022.