New gases for GIS will investigate the long-term insulation properties of the most promising SF6 alternatives for medium- and high-voltage GIS. The project will obtain fundamental knowledge on discharge behaviour of the alternative gases and gas mixtures through experimental and computational research, and contribute to:
- The future's sustainable and resilient energy grid.
- Reduce national and global use of SF6 (GWP > 23 000).
- Increase reliability of energy supply, by developing tools for condition assessment for new gases.
- Strengthening the national research and education institutes on topics highly relevant to Norwegian industry and society at large.
- Increase collaboration of the whole value chain of medium and high voltage GIS by bringing together research institutes, industry partners and grid operators.
New gases for GIS will contribute to a safe, considered introduction of new GIS technology, where maintaining security-of-supply in a long-term perspective is of the utmost importance.
The project brings together gas producers, switchgear producers and switchgear end users. By facilitating collaboration along the value chain:
- SINTEF Energy Research
- GE Power
- Hyundai Electric Switzerland
- Hitachi ABB
- National Grid
This is a Knowledge-building Project for Industry financed by the Research Council of Norway.