Transportation includes conventional passenger cars, heavy cargo, ships and railway. The battery in the vehicles can also be used as mobile storage which is connected to the electrical grid, e.g. if the car charges at home or is parked.
This can help to reduce the negative effects to the grid, e.g. by (fast)charging of cars.
New tariffs for both the extraction of energy and supply must come to deal with the future smart grid, including electric cars, solar, wind and advanced electrical equipment (consumer, market, grid).
We work with:
- Integration of electrical vehicles into energy systems and markets
- Development of alternative tariff alternatives both for users of vehicles and energy supplier
- Application of mobile storage in energy systems (e.g. Vehicle2Grid)
- Optimal operation of charging stations (electrical, hydrogen)
- Analyses of climate gas emissions from various energy sectors after the integration of environment-friendly vehicles
- Power quality analyses and solutions for integrating electrical vehicles and mobile storage in energy systems
- Minimizing the effect of charging/discharging in distribution networks
- Secure supply of energy in distribution networks and handling of local and regional unbalances (solar, wind, congestions, outages, disturbances, balancing energy) with support from mobile storage
- Providing charging profiles of electrical vehicles and households
- Optimized charging of vehicles (electrical, hybrid, hydrogen) with respect to energy prices and availability
- Measurements and data analyses (charging scheme, power quality)
- Utilizing the SmartGrid laboratory for testing and simulation
SINTEF Energy is largest independent research institute in Scandinavia with a long history of both national, European and global projects. We participated and had leadership in different project related to the topic. The new SmartGrid laboratory is able to simulate various effects of electrical vehicles and households. A wide spread database of measured data is available, going from households with charging up to industry and energy suppliers. We measure, evaluate, process and analyse data from various sources. Technically mature tools and an international staff will support the projects. There is a close partnership with NTNU and their students.
Our customers are:
End-users (owner of EV, house owners, housing cooperative)
Energy suppliers, power companies
Industry/commerce (electric vehicle fleets, shopping centers, operator of charging stations)
International and national research
SmartGrid laboratoriet https://www.sintef.no/alle-laboratorier/smartgrid/
H2Moves - http://www.h2moves.eu/
Report "Hydrogen for transport from renewable energy in Mid-Norway"
DeVID https://www.sintef.no/projectweb/devid/Rapport "Energi- og miljøpåvirkning av elbil"
eCar - Elektrifisering av veitransporten i Norge https://www.sintef.no/projectweb/ecar/
Smart regions - Avanserte målere og nye tjenester for redusert energibruk https://www.sintef.no/projectweb/smartregions/
Spesnett - Spenningskvalitet i Smartnett
- Report "Energi- og miljøpåvirkning av elbil"