The AluBridge project will map relevant design solutions for the use of aluminium in bridges. Different solutions will be tested in terms of feasibility, capacity, stability and cost-effectiveness.
Research group Material- and Structural Mechanics
Mechanics of materials
- Constitutive-and fracture modelling of a wide range of materials, e.g. aluminium, steel, polymers, composite, rock, concrete and additively manufactured materials
- Formability of sheet metals, hot-stamping processes and through process modelling
- Impact mechanics; e.g. crashworthiness of car components, rock-drill bit impact, dropped objects
- Ultimate load calculations of structures and bolted, riveted and welded connections
- Fluid-structure interaction in e.g. containers, valves, floating structures and wind turbines
- Structural dynamics; e.g. monitoring of railway tracks, bridges and heat exchangers
- Application and development of commercial and in-house software for Finite Element Analysis
- Mechanical testing at a wide range of temperatures and deformation-rates through close collaboration with laboratories in SINTEF and NTNU
- Development and use of Digital Image Correlation for mechanical testing
- Systematic verification and validation of numerical models for predictive design
- Digital/IT solutions to build apps and numerical toolboxes
The FlexiMan Project is an industrial-driven research project aiming to redesign the existing manufacturing chain of maritime spare parts.
Improved lifetime estimation of mooring chains.
HotCaSe: Cost-effective and Reliable Engineered Casing Systems for Super High Temperature Geothermal Wells
The primary objective of the project is to develop a cost-effective casing system concept to TRL 4, which sustains its integrity under the operation conditions (400°C-550°C, H2S and CO2 environments) during its service lifetime (20 years), and...
Strategic Research Centres
The research group Material- and Structural Mechanics is represented in the national research centers for environmentally friendly energy (FME) and research-based Innovation (SFI).