These superlight pressure cylinders enable new ship designs with much higher payloads and dramatically lower transportation costs per volume of gas.
Where the exploitation of stranded, associated and flared gas is currently economically not viable, GASVESSEL brings a solution. As a cost-efficient and flexible CNG transport system that can unlock energy resources and decrease Europe's dependence on a single supplier.
The GASVESSEL project focuses on:
- Development and piloting of the lightweight pressure cylinders;
- Finalizing the ship design based on the new pressure cylinders ad including a gas on/off loading system;
- Establishing proof-of-concept through a cost-benefit analysis, environmental evaluation and safety classification.
Where and how can the GASVESSEL concept provide added value? Three geo-logistic gas exploitation scenarios will be analyzed in the project: East Mediterranean gas fields, Black Sea region and Barents Sea offshore oil & gas fields.
GASVESSEL has far-reaching benefits for Europe's energy supply and oil & gas exploitation:
- Securing Europe's energy supply by diversifying supply routes;
- Cost-efficient and flexible CNG transport up to 2500km. GASVESSEL is cheaper at lower volumes than gas transport via LNG ships and pipelines;
- Opening up new supply routes to isolated gas consumers, such as Cyprus and the Greek islands;
- Making the exploitation of stranded, flared and associated gas fields economically viable;
- Promoting the use of natural gas as an energy source. Natural gas emits up to 60% less CO2 than coal.
SINTEF Ocean's engagement in GASVESSEL:
- In WP2, Scenario Analysis: SINTEF Ocean to contribute to the scenario definition, the development of the decision support tool for Scenario cost simulation and optimization, and the scenario analysis.
- In WP5 Ship design and WP6, Offshore & onshore gas loading / unloading systems. SINTEF Ocean responsible for the simulation of offshore loading/unloading operations and the corresponding impact on the ship design
- In WP7, Cost-benefit analysis: SINTEF Ocean WP-leader and contributor. Work to consists of a cost-benefit analysis of the Gasvessel solution, including comparative analysis between CNG and alternative monetization technologies, and a complete quantitative and qualitative assessment of the Gasvessel solution, including beneficial socio-economic impact.
- NAVALPROGETTI SRL (Italy),
- DOW DEUTSCHLAND ANLAGENGESELLSCHAFT MBH (Germany),
- DOWAKSA DEUTSCHLAND GMBH (Germany),
- PNO INNOVATION (Belgium),
- VNIPITRANSGAZ (Germany),
- SINTEF OCEAN AS (Norway),
- BM PLUS SRL (Italy),
- C.N.G.V. D.O.O. (Slovenia),
- CENERGY SRL (Italy),
- HANSEATIC LLOYD SCHIFFAHRT GMBH & CO KG (Germany),
- Cyprus Hydrocarbons Company LTD (Cyprus),
- ESTECO SPA (Italy),
- AMERICAN BUREAU OF SHIPPING – ABS HELLENIC (Greece)