Chromatebased coatings are widely used as corrosion preventive surface treatment. The use of Cr6+ in home appliances and automotive parts has already been prohibited in Europe due to its carcinogenicity, mutagenicity and teratology. The increasing needs for high-performance Cr6+-free coatings demand development of new systems with active corrosion protection.
Functionalised layered double hydroxide (LDH)/carbon nanotube (CNT) additives will be incorporated into hybrid (POSS) based coatings. The expected impacts are:
- improved products at acceptable costs with respect to current existing technologies
- reduced usage of hazardous materials
- sustainability of developed technology throughout the entire products life cycle.
The environmentally-friendly products will bring significant economic benefits to the transport industry (automotive, aerospace) and building industry without harmful impacts on both the environment and the society.
- SINTEF, Coordinator
- SMT, Portugal
- MAIER/CIDETEC, Spain
- HYDRO, Norway
This project has received funding from Research Council of Norway-NANO2021, Foundation of Science and Technology (Portugal), Basque Innovation Agency (Spain) via the European Union's M.ERA.Net Programme for research.
- Christian Rone Simon
- Senior Business Developer
- 938 11 275
- Industry - Administration
- SINTEF AS
- Juan Yang
- Senior Research Scientist
- 982 30 474
- Materials and Nanotechnology
- SINTEF AS