In order to bring CCS closer to commercial realization in Europe, the viability of alternative CCS projects must be explored by analysing the CCS chains as an integrated system and considering its interactions with its global environment.
There is a need to identify a portfolio of promising CO2 projects and the most efficient incentives, for realization of European CO2 transport infrastructure and to show that these would be robust and feasible in long-term perspective.
The GATEWAY project will provide a common strategic decision basis, enabling all stakeholders to identify and implement measures that can accelerate development, up-take, and deployment of technologies needed for realisation of large scale CCS projects based on European CO2 transport infrastructure.
Developing and defining a pilot case for European CO2 transport infrastructure:
- A comprehensive integrated project providing a model for establishing European CO2 infrastructure
- Incorporating technology, policy-making, international law, regulatory aspects, business development, and tentative consortium
- Make assesment of funding needs and resources
- Follow the Berlin model to realize the Pilot case project
GATEWAY concept and approach
- Efforts will be made to attract key players
- Different sources of private and public funding will be assessed as how these sources can be arranged to work together
- Design for public perception assesment will be developed
- Central European CO2 hub (Germany, Belgium, France, Netherlands)
- Potential CO2 sources adjacent to the North Sea Basin (Germany, UK, Netherlands) combined account for 1.6Gtpa of CO2
- Potential sinks in the North Sea (UK, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark)
Methodology and toolbox
- systematic approach ensuring comparability & reproducibility
- provide framework describing the non-quantifiable factors to define the environment of the chains
CCS integrated chain simulation tool
- provide models for integrated quantitative evaluation of the KPIs –measures of the potential of various CCS chain options
- provide insight on the effect of key uncertainties related to the CCS chain realization