Objectives for this project:
- New or improved biomass harvesting and logistics solutions, with special attention to forest residues, but also pulpwood and energy wood (including hardwood), and their properties
- New or improved biocarbon production solutions through development or improvement of biomass pretreatment methods, biocarbon production processes and applications and biocarbon logistics solutions
- New or improved biocarbon conversion solutions through development or improvement of biocarbon conversion applications with focus on high energy efficiency and low emissions, and biocarbon properties for industrial applications
- Efficient utilisation of by-products from the biocarbon production process to improve overall economy and improve sustainability (CO2-footprint) of biocarbon production and utilisation
- Education of highly skilled candidates within this area and training of industry partners
- Monitoring of activities and state-of-the-art within this area and dissemination of knowledge to the industry partners, and other interested parties where applicable
- The anticipated results of the project are reduced harvesting and logistics costs for low-grade biomass resources, maximised BC yield and quality in the BC production process and maximised energy efficiency and minimised emissions in the BC end-use applications.
BioCarb+ did run for four years (2014-2017) and had a total budget of 20 million NOK which is 80% financed by the Research Council of Norway through the ENERGIX program and 20% financed by the industrial partners.