Emily Cowan is a Research Scientist at SINTEF Ocean, in the department of Climate and Environment.
Cowan received her MA in European Studies from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in 2020 with the title: “The Price of Plastic: Analysing the actors that influenced the EU’s Single-Use Plastic Directive, 2004-19”. She is currently working on her doctorate.
Competence and research areas
Cowans's expertise in the social and political sciences fits well with transdisciplinary research projects. Her areas of focus are on plastics and Arctic multi-level governance. Cowan works on a variety of EU and NFR projects where she holds stakeholder-driven workshops focusing on perceptions and scenario development to identify pathways forward for policymakers. The Dr. Philos degree which Cowan is currently working on is centred around the UN plastic treaty negotiations where she uses the methodological approach of event ethnography to better understand how environmental agreements are formed.
- What shall we do with a sea of plastics? A systematic literature review on how to pave the road towards a global comprehensive plastic governance agreement
- Single-Use Plastic Bans: Exploring Stakeholder Perspectives on Best Practices for Reducing Plastic Pollution
- Global governance in Arctic waters – new times. new stressors: catching up with pharmaceuticals
- The Case for Policy in Developing Offshore Wind: Lessons from Norway
- Risk perception and risk realities in forming legally binding agreements: The governance of plastics
- Including the Oft-Forgotten: The Necessity of Including Women and Indigenous Peoples in Nature-Based Solution Research
- Orchestration in Plastics governance - from Global to Arctic
- A green-light for change - What the milestone at UNEA means for plastics
- Nei, en global plastavtale er ikke på plass - ennå
- The road towards a plastic treaty: whats happening in Nairobi and how will it affect me?
- A Multidisciplinary Approach for Improving Resource Efficiency in the Indian Surimi Supply Chain
- Webinar - PLASTICENE Kick-Off meeting
- Webinar - Compareit! Kick-Off meeting