SINTEF has access to a wide range of state-of-the-art characterization laboratories and modeling tools, either through its own facilities or through partnerships with other research institutions. Examples of such partnerships are the national equipment facilities NORTEM (Norwegian Center for Transmission Electron Microcopy) and NICE (National Surface and Interface Characterization Laboratory), both under the leadership of SINTEF.
We offer expertise in:
- Atomic scale modeling, microstructure modeling, thermodynamic modeling and multi-scale modeling.
- High resolution structural analysis of materials using SEM / TEM, X-ray diffraction / absorption and associated techniques.
- Chemical characterization of surfaces using XPS, AES, SIMS, GD-MS and GD-OES.
- High-precision surface optimization analysis using AFM, WLI.
- Chemical and structural analysis of simple and mixed materials by NMR.
- Chemical analysis using LC / GC / FTICR-MS.
Within characterization and modeling we perform:
- Measurement of surface optimization with white light interferometry (WLI) and nuclear magnetic microscopy (AFM)
- Analysis of chemical composition of surfaces with X-ray electron spectroscopy (XPS) and secondary ion-based mass spectrometry (SIMS)
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) with associated spectroscopy techniques based on energy dispersion (EDS) and electron energy loss (EELS).
- Powder X-ray diffraction (PXD) and in situ measurements.
- Electron structure calculations at atomic level.
Material systems and properties we work with:
- Solar cells
- Thermoelectric materials
- Nickel and steel
- Phase Transformation Materials
- Dense metal membranes
- Diffusion effects
- Electrical properties
- Structural features and properties
- Thermodynamic properties
- transport Properties
- Solid state physics, physical metallurgy, materials science
Research group for Materials Physics in Oslo, SINTEF Materials and Cheimstry