What is SINTEF doing in the AM field?
SINTEF is involved in many aspects of AM and associated technologies. The topics range from material development and "analysis-based design for additive manufacturing" to assessing product properties and developing new applications. SINTEF also has facilities for AM trials, both lab/R&D equipment and industrial machines. Some facilities are shared with NTNU, which is an important partner in many projects.
SINTEF's AM expertise
SINTEF has broad expertise in AM via research groups in Trondheim, Oslo, Raufoss and Porsgrunn. SINTEF's expertise covers areas such as process/machine technology, materials technology, numerical simulations, digitalization aspects, standardization and new business models. Based on this, SINTEF can help various industry segments to make use of AM.
Some key words about SINTEF's expertise and projects:
- General expertise in industrial additive and hybrid processes, as well as associated materials and material properties (metals and plastics/composites)
- Standardization and industrialization
- Simulation tools for AM, e.g. topology optimization of components and simulation of AM processes
- Digital support for AM
- Molds/tooling made with AM
- AM of reactors etc to the chemical process industry
- AM in the construction industry
- AM with functional ceramic materials