SFI Circular aims to realise a circular economy by creating new business opportunities that increase value creation and competitiveness of the Norwegian industry with a lower environmental burden. We will do this through a value chain perspective, designing innovations and new business models based on circular resource and energy flows.
At SFI Circular's core are the academic partners SINTEF, NTNU and Nord University together with industrial enterprises in Norway committed to making a transition to a circular economy. In addition, we invite network partners covering a broad range of Norwegian businesses, industries and the public sector to work with us.
SFI Circular – the leading research and knowledge community on value-creation and competitiveness within the circular economy.
SFI Circular provide applicable knowledge and research for private and public actors wanting to improve their competitiveness by adopting circular economy principles.
SFI Circular will focus on identifying, evaluating and implementing innovative opportunities for value-creation from adapting circular economy principles within and across different sectors. We rely on a multidisciplinary approach integrating leading competence on process technology, innovation and new business development, economic, environmental and technology analysis.
The figure illustrates the three core activities of our research in SFI Circular and how they combine to support our work with industry - economic analysis, environmental analysis and technology development. We will build on state-of-the-art research within these areas and the connection between them. Linked with research on innovation systems and new business models, our work highlights potential for increased value-creation by open innovation, new design and new business models within the CE framework for Norwegian industry.
Figure: Illustration of the research contents in SFI Circular
SFI Circular partner benefits
SFI Circular takes a research-based but practical approach to the green shift. Our activities aim to provide real and substantial changes in the industry and public sector finding innovations to create better products and services, long term international competitiveness, better profitability and efficiency.
SFI Circular offers many benefits for industrial and public partners :
- Access to leading researchers and knowledge networks of motivated partners facing similar challenges with a shift to a circular economy
- Increased knowledge about environmental impacts of activities and products over their life cycles
- Increased knowledge about economically beneficial ways to mitigate environmental impacts and respond to regulations– we help you create business out of your waste and bi-products!
- Potential access to public funding of relevant research and development activities
- Opportunity for shaping the research agenda related to circular economy value creation
Cross sectorial benefits
New business models within the circular economy framework requires increased information sharing, cooperation and interaction between different industries and value-chains. SFI Circular invite large Norwegian industries across sectors to come together to identify synergies and joint possibilities within the circular economy.
SFI Circular creates value by pooling resources from many industries and sectors:
- Learning and sharing of circular economy approaches and innovations across sectors
- Creating new circular economy business opportunities across different sectors
- Building competence in the commercialization of circular economy opportunities through spin-off innovation projects and new venture creation
- Higher visibility of circular economy actions that is attractive to employees and customers
- Network of partners to initiate new research and innovation projects
SFI Circular is currently seeking industrial partners and ideas that will deliver results for industry and society. What opportunities do you see around the circular economy in the next decade? Where can research complement the needs of industry in providing strategic, long-term results? What can we do to deliver cutting edge research for your organisation?
Tell us your interest in the topic, your ideas, and your projects and let's discuss collaboration.
- Kjetil Midthun (SINTEF). Kjetil.Midthun@sintef.no, +47 97176881
- Arild Aspelund (NTNU). Arild.Aspelund@ntnu.no, +47 90840017
- Einar Rasmussen (Nord universitet). Einar.Rasmussen@nord.no, +47 90949470
- Richard Wood (NTNU). Richard.Wood@ntnu.no, +47 73598938
- Casper van der Eijk (SINTEF). Casper.Eijk@sintef.no, +47 98283989