The project is carried out with financial support from NFR, Statkraft, Norsk Hydro and Umoe Ryving
- Wind conditions in complex terrain
- Aero and structural dynamics
- Wind power in weak electric grids
- international cooperations
The project included R&D at SINTEF Energy Research and IFE in co-operation with the industrial partners and two PhD studies being carried out at NTNU.
The project was carried out closely coordinated with "Strategic wind energy programme 2003 - 2007".
Activities and objectives
Task 1: Wind conditions in complex terrain
This task was carried out as a PhD study developing Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes models for simulating the wind conditions in complex terrain. The overall objective was to improve the accuracy of the estimated wind conditions for use in conjunction with planning of wind farms. The task is of specific relevance due to the mountainous terrain of Norway.
Task 2: Aero and structural dynamics
This task was carried out by IFE. The work included assessment of offshore wind turbine concepts and studies to support blade design and manufacturing. The goal was to gain an improved understanding of the aero and structural dynamic design basis for wind turbines to assist an emerging Norwegian wind energy industry.
Task 3: Wind power in weak electric grids
This task included one PhD study together with R&D at SEfAS. The goal was to develop accurate assessment models and cost-effective wind farm control concepts to allow increased penetration of wind power in weak grids. This was of specific relevance due to the weak grid infrastructure in proximity of planned wind farms in Norway.
Task 4: International co-operations
International co-operations constituted an important part of the project as to carry on international experience and ensure quality of works. The co-operations took form of presentations at international conferences and participation in working groups under IEA, IEC and Cenelec.
Project manager: John Olav Tande, SINTEF
Task 1, Micro-scale, Task Manager, Andreas Knauer, IFE
Task 2, Aero and structural, Task Manager, Andreas Knauer, IFE
Task 3, Weak grids, Task Manager, John Olav Tande, SINTEF, Tore Undeland, NTNU
Task 4, International, Task Manager, John Olav Tande, SINTEF
Reports and publications
- A. Knauer (2002) Target design blade loads, Institutt for energiteknikk IFE/KR/F-2002/182, 64 pp, fortrolig.
- A. Knauer (2002) Comparison of Stadlandet wind conditions with international standards, Institutt for energiteknikk, 2002, fortrolig.
- T. Toftevaag (2002) Laboratoriemodell av maskin/generatorsett for simulering av vindkraftverk - Teknisk beskrivelse, SINTEF Energiforskning, AN 02.12.104
- K. Uhlen (2002) Power conversion principles and control structures for wind turbines, SINTEF Energy Research, AN 02.12.103.
- J.O. Tande (2002) Wind Farm Models for Power System Studies, sent to IEEE Energy Conversion for review.
- J.O. Tande (2002) Assessment of electrical conversion systems for wind turbines, Global Wind Power Conference, Paris 2002.
- J.O. Tande (2002) Dynamic modeling of wind turbines for power system studies, IEEE/CIGRE workshop, Oslo 2002.
- J.O. Tande (2002) Innpassing av vindkraft i det norske kraftsystemet, Kursdagene ved NTNU 2002.
- J.O. Tande, O. Carlson, J. Pierik, K. Burges (2002) Dynamic models of wind farms for power system studies, IEA Implementing Agreement on Wind Energy Research and Development, Annex Proposal 2002.
- J.O. Tande (2002) APPLYING POWER QUALITY CHARACTERISTICS OF WIND TURBINES FOR ASSESSING IMPACT ON VOLTAGE QUALITY, Wind Energy (John Wily & Sons), 2002, 5:37-52J.O. Tande, K. Uhlen (2003) COST EFFICIENT GRID INTEGRATION OF LARGE WIND FARMS, EWEC 2003.
- J.O. Tande (2003) Vindkraft – konsekvenser for nettkvaliteten, Siemens seminar, Hurdalsjøen 25-26 November 2003.
- J.O. Tande, T Toftevaag (2003) Vindkraft – integrasjon i det norske kraftsystemet, Xergi Nr 3 - 2003.Oppslag i Adressa: Best vind i Europa
- Knauer, A., Feasibility study - Offshore wind turbine lKnauer, A., Feasibility study - Offshore wind turbine loads, IFE/KR/F-2003/222, 47 pages, Institutt for energiteknikk, Kjeller 2003.
- Knauer, A., Analysis of Hitra wind park, IFE/KR/F-2003/221, 48 pages, Institutt for energiteknikk, Kjeller 2003.
- Knauer, A., Aerodynamic performance and Noise sources at UM77 - Tip, IFE/KR/F-2004/049, 48 pages, Institutt for energiteknikk, Kjeller 2004.
- Skomedal, N., Knauer, A., Target Design Blade Loads from Complex Terrain Winds. Accepted for DEWEK 2004, Wilhelmshaven, Germany.
- Ove Undheim, IFE/NTNU "Comparison of turbulence models for wind evaluation in complex terrain" 2003 EWEC 16-19.juni 2003, Madrid, Spania.
- Vindkraft FoU-seminar 26. og 27. januar 2004 Royal Garden Hotel, Trondheim