This two-year action will be carried out by 11 European research organisations, 2 universities and a SME. The main objective of ERIFORE is to facilitate development the Circular Forest Bioeconomy field towards the following overall targets:
- Coordinate, complement and update major European research infrastructure to enable the full potential of available forest biomass in balance with diverse use of forests.
- A new level of co-operation between the major RTD providers.
- Establish a globally competitive European research infrastructure.
The main deliverables of ERIFORE are the following:
- To enhance the awareness, utilisation and open access of the complementary research facilities between the major European RTD providers in circular forest biorefinery.
- To prepare a conceptual design and plan for cooperation arrangements between the main European RTD providers in this field.
- To prepare Stakeholder analysis for the development needs in the infrastructure network at European level.
- To upgrade bioeconomy competence base by providing contact interface for facilities for education and training. A plan for implementing is prepared.
The suggested future European research infrastructure will then facilitate the development towards enhanced utilisation of renewable raw materials and renewal of established European process industry.
SINTEF is involved in both technical and non-technical aspects of the projects. On the technical side SINTEF gathers information about infrastructure on biomass pretreatment, primary conversion to bio oils and gas, secondary conversion to intermediates, chemicals and materials, as well as downstream processes including separation, purification and recycling. On the non-technical aspects, SINTEF is involved in accessing educational aspects on biomass conversion, market analysis, political and societal parameters. ERIFORE is a networking project, so no experimental work is involved.
Coordinator for the project is Teknologian tutkimuskeskus in Finland
Partners in the project:
- AALTO-KORKEAKOULUSAATIO, Finland
- FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG E.V., Germany
- SP PROCESSUM AKTIEBOLAG, Sweden
- KUNGLIGA TEKNISKA HOEGSKOLAN, Sweden
- STIFTELSEN SINTEF, Norway
- INSTITUT TECHNOLOGIQUE FCBA (FORETCELLULOSE BOIS-CONSTRUCTION AMEUBLEMENT), France
- INSTITUT NATIONAL DE LA RECHERCHE AGRONOMIQUE, France
- FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION, Spain
- KOMPETENZZENTRUM HOLZ GMBH, Austria
- LATVIJAS VALSTS KOKSNES KIMIJAS INSTITUTS, Latvia
- INSTITUTUL DE CHIMIE MACROMOLECULARA PETRU PONI, Romania
- BIO BASE EUROPE PILOT PLANT VZW, Belgium
This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under GA No. 654371