Researchers at SINTEF and NTNU conducted a national evaluation (2018-2021) of the organisational changes (reform) made to the "Rapid Return to Work" scheme (RRTW) in specialist health services in Norway in 2017/2018. The overall goal of the evaluation was to evaluate the whole reorganization process of RRTW and investigate consequences at the system level, service levels, and patient levels:
- Investigate the consequences for patients with musculoskeletal disorders and/or patients with mental health disorders.
- Investigate the effects of the reform on sick leave.
- Describe the content of the services over time and guidance on possible course adjustments.
- Investigate the effects of changes in organization and collaboration internally in specialized healthcare and in relation to the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV), general practitioners, etc.
- Investigate the effects on work-related interventions integrated into treatment in specialized healthcare.
Mixed methods (interviews, surveys, individual level register data on patients) were applied. Reports from the national evaluation are available in Norwegian.