The National Advisory Unit purpose within the field of Ultrasound and Image-Guided Therapy (USIGT) is to develop and raise the quality of ultrasound and image-guided treatment throughout the country, including ensuring that technology and clinical treatment are used so that the services provided are performed in a safe manner and lead to the best possible benefit for the patients. The Advisory Unit USIGT shall ensure and further develop competence in the highly specialized and high-tech field of ultrasound and image-guided treatment, through an interdisciplinary collaboration between clinicians and technologists. The competence center will further build up competence within new methods for ultrasound and image-guided treatment, and develop new methods for cost-effective, safe and efficient treatment.
USIGT shall further ensure knowledge of how to evaluate the clinical effect of ultrasound and image-guided treatment. This competence dissemination plan has the following objectives:
- Spread expertise on the clinical benefits of ultrasound and image-guided therapy
- Spread competence in practical / clinical use of the methods and technologies
- Spread knowledge about the interpretation of ultrasound images
- Spread new methods within the field of USIGT
- Spread clinical and technological expertise in ultrasound and image-guided treatment
Increased competence and knowledge in ultrasound and image-guided treatment among Norwegian clinicians will give patients better and safer treatment. The advantages of ultrasound compared with the use of, for example, X-ray imaging during operations are well known. The competence service works actively to ensure that the benefits of ultrasound benefit both patients and clinicians in Norway.