Fatigue and fracture is a relevant issue for many industries. We mainly serve the offshore oil and gas industry, but also the wind power, hydro power, shipping and automotive industries
We provide the following services
- Material testing
- Qualification tests of larger components
- Research on welding procedures
- Research on the effect of environment (temperature, corrosive environments, hydrogen embrittlement)
- Failure investigations
- Contribute to the development of structural design codes
- Full scale fatigue tests of risers, umbilicals and power cables
- Fatigue load analysis of offshore structures
- Software for fatigue and fracture design
SINTEF has laboratories with the capability to test both material samples and larger structural components (with forces around 100 tons). Tests can represent the effect of high and low temperatures and aggressive chemical environments interacting with the mechanical loading.
SINTEF has extensive capabilities in the characterisation of materials allowing to identify atomic components, understand the grain structure, study crack surfaces, and so forth.
SINTEF has a considerable expertise in numerical analysis using a variety of software, either developed in house or by others. Simulation at the atomic scale, up to the component scale provide insight in various aspects of material behaviour.
- Testing the mechanical properties of different weld qualities
- ECA (engineering criticality assessment) of flaws in welds
- Numerical analysis of stresses around a crack
- Lead joint industry projects for the qualification of methods and materials (operation in extremely cold weather, hyperbaric welding, drilling hard rock at large depths...)