We also support the development of new CCS concepts and bring them to pilot testing as we do for the promising Chemical Looping Combustion (CLC) technology.
We work within these areas:
- CCS, post-combustion,pre-combustion, oxyfuel combustion and chemical looping combustion (CLC)
- Clean combustion technologies
Typical projects for us are:
- Developing new burner hardware for area not commercially available like oxy-fuel burner for gas turbines or boilers
- Evaluating capture technologies for specific applications of CCS in industry and power sectors
- Predicting and improving combustion equipment for use with unconventional fuels (e.g. hydrogen rich) or oxidizers (e.g. oxygen and CO2 mixtures, exhaust gas recirculation EGR)
The methods we use are:
- Experimental facilities from lab to pilot scale combustion units, with advanced measurement capability (updated gas and particle analyser park, laser diagnostic)
- Several pilot infrastructures for CCS (part of the European Infrastructure ECCSEL):
- 150 kW Chemical Looping Combustion (CLC) rig
- 100 kW/10 bar oxyfuel facility HIPROX
- demonstration plant with CO2 capture based on a 100 kWe gas turbine
- High level expertise in both in-house and commercial (Fluent(c)) CFD tools
Why choose SINTEF?
Most of the combustion studies we do on CCS are in collaboration with available specialists at SINTEF on capture technologies. Besides, we are well represented in international networks as the IEA, ZEP and EERA.