Our services and clients
At the Gas Technology Department we conduct research into the various methods of CO2 capture. Some methods are approaching industrial maturity, while others are in the early development phase. Our research provides answers to how different CO2 capture technologies can be integrated with the various CO2 emissions sources, and which technologies perform best in relation to each of the sources. In order to use the highest quality data possible in our process simulations, we work closely with the Thermal Energy Department at SINTEF Energy Research and with a number of other departments at SINTEF Industry. We also work closely with our colleagues at the Gas Technology Department who have expertise in the transport and thermodynamics of CO2. Our clients include electricity producers, oil companies, industrial companies responsible for CO2 emissions, CO2 capture equipment suppliers, as well as Gassnova, the Research Council of Norway and the EU.
We are currently working in the following fields
- Process simulations of power generation and industrial processes that involve CO2 capture
- Development and use of process analysis and optimisation methods
- Integration and evaluation of various capture technologies in processes that produce CO2 emissions.
- Comparative studies (benchmarking) of the various capture technologies.
- Cost analyses of CO2 capture technologies
Approach: Systematic process integration, process simulations (using HYSYS, AspenPlus, ProII), exergy analysis, pinch analysis, cost analysis and thermodynamic benchmarking
We typically carry out the following types of project
- • Analyses of the improvement potential of capture technologies in relation to energy efficiency and costs
- • Comparative studies (benchmarking) of capture technologies for a given emissions source