There has been an increase in the number of services and one foresees even higher demand in these markets following the growth in non-dispatchable renewable energy sources.
Hydropower has excellent properties for reserve delivery due to its fast regulating characteristics. Including reserve markets in optimal scheduling of hydropower production has been a main focus area for our research in several years, and is expected to gain additional important in the years to come.
Main focus areas:
- Optimal distribution of reserve obligations
- Development of models for reserve delivery from generator- and pump units
- Handling of simultaneous pumping and production for maximum reservoir delivery
- Clustering of reserve delivery on fewer units
- Handling of simultaneous obligations on primary-, secondary- and tertiary reserves
We work within these areas:
- Improving decision support for re-scheduling
- Increasing the level of detail for reserve delivery close to maximum available capacity
- Assistance in model set-up and use
- Project development for adaption to new markets
Why choose SINTEF?
SINTEF develops and has the best knowledge of the models in operational use for optimal reserve handling in the Nordic and European power market.
Who are our customers?
- Hydropower producers in Norway and Europe.
Software and Projects:
- Extended reserve handling
- Variable speed pumps, hydraulic short circut and reserves
- Reserve clustering