Tentative agenda for workshop:
- 8:30h Reception and registration
- 9:00h Welcome
- 9:15h OPTIRAS Project overview
- 9:35h Pilot facilities at OPTIRAS
- 9:55h Impact of oxygenation and water disinfection on RAS
Coffee break (10:15 to 10:30h)
- 10:30h Impact of water quality on fish health
- 11:50h Automated sensors for water quality monitoring in RAS
- 11:10h Alternative water treatment: oxygenation solutions tested in OPTIRAS
- 11:30h Q&A
OPTIRAS is contributing to improve technology and protocols for land-based farming of sole and Atlantic salmon, with respect to productivity, animal health, production conditions, environmental beneﬁts and sustainability. In particular, OPTIRAS aims at contributing to more sustainable growth in the aquaculture sector by developing innovative sensor technologies for operationally critical water quality parameters, improve water quality by assessing new oxygenation and water treatment technologies, and thus, supporting the blue bioeconomy in Portugal and Norway.
The project consortium is composed of INL (PL), CIIMAR, Safiestela, SINTEF Ocean, LetSea. Oxy Solutions and Nippon Gases.
Major goals include:
- Investigate the changes in water chemical parameters, microbiome and physiology of fish in RAS induced by different water treatment processes as well as microorganisms balance in the different steps of water cycle.
- Develop and deploy online monitoring systems for water chemical parameters relevant for the control of the water quality and the ozone demand.
- Test the adequacy and impact of alternative water treatment processes on fish welfare status and water quality.
- Demonstrate a novel water quality control system developed in RAS pilots and improved cultivation protocols for diverse fish farming stages and species.
- Transference of know-how and technologies in RAS between Norwegian and Portuguese companies in order to increase the sector competences, innovation and sustainability.