Sustainable AI Alignment for Personal and Small-Scale Applications: Leveraging RLHF and Pretraining for Domain-Specific Language Models
In the current era of large-scale AI models, achieving a balance between model performance and sustainability is a challenge, especially for small-scale or personal use applications. Aligning AI models to perform well on specific tasks without excessive resources is essential.
Research Topic Focus
- Comprehensive study of RLHF and pretraining techniques in aligning AI models.
- Designing methods to fine-tune small language models for domain-specific applications using RLHF and pretraining.
- Evaluating the effectiveness and efficiency of the aligned models in processing and understanding data from health, manufacturing, and space sectors.
- Investigating the sustainability implications of the designed alignment strategies in terms of computational costs, energy consumption, and model robustness.
- A detailed understanding of the potential of RLHF and pretraining in aligning small language models.
- Domain-specific small language models fine-tuned using the proposed techniques that showcase competitive performance.
- Demonstrated sustainability benefits of the alignment techniques in the context of personal and small-scale AI applications.
- Acquire an in-depth understanding of RLHF and its application in AI model alignment.
- Gain hands-on experience in leveraging pretraining techniques for domain-specific fine-tuning.
- Develop expertise in evaluating the sustainability and efficiency of AI models.
- Enhance problem-solving skills in adapting AI models for specific sectors, ensuring both performance and sustainability.
- Strong foundation in AI, with a focus on language models.
- Proficiency in reinforcement learning and pretraining techniques.
- Familiarity with datasets from the health, manufacturing, and space sectors.
- An analytical mindset and dedication to sustainable AI solutions.
- Christiano, P., Leike, J., Brown, T., Martic, M., Legg, S., & Amodei, D. (2017). Deep reinforcement learning from human feedback. arXiv preprint arXiv:1706.03741.
- Devlin, J., Chang, M. W., Lee, K., & Toutanova, K. (2018). BERT: Pre-training of deep bidirectional transformers for language understanding. arXiv preprint arXiv:1810.04805.
- Strubell, E., Ganesh, A., & McCallum, A. (2019). Energy and policy considerations for deep learning in NLP. arXiv preprint arXiv:1906.02243.