Molten Salt and Electrolysis Lab
Molten salts includes fluorides, chlorides and carbonates melts for use in several electrochemical processes. Aluminium electrolysis is the predominant field of work but also electrowinning of Titanium, Iron, Magnesium, Silicon and Rare Earth Metals (REM) covers our research activities. Recently our research activity also cover recycling and electro refining of critical materials (REE elements mainly). Liquid metal battery for future storage of renewable energy is another field of research.
The laboratory consist of several high temperature furnaces with advanced electrochemical equipment including gas analysis instrumentation.
- Furnaces in several dimensions and capacities. Max temp 1800 °C
- Crucible capacity up to 6 kg
- Several power supplies, maximum 3 kA
- Potentiostats for electrochemical measurements and analysis of reaction mechanism.
- GC and GC/MS – Gas chromatography (mass spectroscopy) and FT-IR for gas analysis.
- Glove boxes
- Glove box including furnace
Visiting address: Sem Sælandsvei 2A, Trondheim
Contact person: Egil Skybakmoen, Mobil: 982 83 965, Epost: