We have in-house workshop capabilities for making customized engine components or modifying existing components and systems in order to improve performance.
- Test area foundation for rigs, process equipment and full scale set-up.
- Engines and auxiliary machinery.
- Exhaust gas cleaning systems.
- Fuel treatment and combustion technology.
- Instrumentation for laboratory and on-site use.
Engine research and development
- Diesel engines.
- Dual fuel/gas engines.
- Prototype testing (long term testing).
Exhaust gas cleaning systems research
- Particle matter reduction efficiency.
- Nitrogen oxide reduction efficiency.
- Sulphur oxide reduction efficiency.
- Testing of fuels on behalf of oil companies and ship owners.
- Testing of alternative fuels (e.g. LNG, biofuels, hydrogen).
- Testing effects on combustion of fuel treatment.
Verification services, basis in measurement competence
- Field measurement of exhaust emissions on ships.
- Field mapping of NOx emissions, gas turbines.
- Verification of efficiency of NOx reduction measures.
Various concept developments and testing
- Comparison studies of instrumentation for aequal employment.
- Power and fuel consumption measurements.
- Field measurement of volatile organic compounds (VOC).
- Instrument testing for monitoring separators and offshore valves.
- Ballast water treatment system.
The laboratory is jointly operated by SINTEF Ocean and The Institute of Marine Technology at The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU),