Cavitation tunnel data:
- Length of test section: L = 6m.
- Cross section dimensions: W 1.3m x H 1.2m.
- Maximum water velocity: 10 m/sec.
- Maximum working pressure: 2.5 atm.abs.
- Minimum working pressure: 0.2 atm.abs./sv~0.2.
- Impeller motor power: 1150 kW.
- Open water dynamometer, thrust = +- 1000 N, torque = +- 55 Nm.
- Boat dynamometer thrust = +- 1000 N, torque = +- 50Nm
- Open water tests with propeller (and duct) in axial or oblique flow.
- Behind hull condition with single, twin or triple screw installations.
- Azimuth thrusters.
- Z-drive installations.
- Underwater vehicles (submarines, ROV's etc.).
- Hydrofoils with or without remotely controlled flaps.
Measurements and observations:
- Cavitation observation (Documentation by sketches, photos and video recordings).
- Cavitation erosion detection by paint technique.
- Measurements of propeller induced pressure fluctuations in the aftbody.
- Measurements of propeller induced noise.
- Six-component force measurements.
- Stereo piv and dic
SINTEF's standard procedure for propeller cavitation testing in behind condition, is to use aftbody model and simulation of estimated full scale wake distribution, based on the measured wake distribution in the towing tank.