News and events
The DACOMAT project speeded up their career
What made three construction engineering students choose to write up their bachelor's thesis on fibre-reinforced polymer composites (FRP)?
Master student Floriane's internship in the DACOMAT project
Meet Floriane Peyrouse, and read about her internship in the DACOMAT project.
New cooperation for fracture resistant vinyl ester composites
3B, Polynt and Hexcel have joined in a European Research and Innovation project to develop fracture resistant glass fibre – vinyl ester composites.
PhD Georgios Xypolias
Meet Georgios Xypolias, the PhD candidate from University of Strathclyde, and read about his research and contribution in the DACOMAT project.
Material life cycle-thinking
Our actions affect the environment in ways we may not understand when we decide what products to use and how to use them. What are they made of and how are they made? How do we use them and how do we dispose or recycle them? In the DACOMAT project we use LCA and LCCA to reduce our impacts. Here we explain what they are and why they are important tools.
Bridge in Skien will serve as LCA & LCCA study case in DACOMAT
A new pedestrian bridge is to be constructed in the city of Skien, Norway. The bridge has a liftable midsection to allow ship passage. The liftable section of the bridge will be a composite structure engineered by DACOMAT partner FiReCo. The side spans will be constructed in concrete by Johs Holt. The light composite solution allows the liftable section to be constructed without counter weights that will interrupt the view of the city.
39th Risø International Symposium on Materials Science
3-6th of September 2018 the 39th Risø International Symposium on Materials Science was arranged by DTU Wind at their campus at Risø near Roskilde in Denmark. The topic of the symposium was Fatigue of Composite Materials: Microstructure, mechanics and methods.
Report - LCA database of environmental impacts to inform material selection process
In the DACOMAT project, new composite materials will be manufactured. The first deliverable in the project is a report providing advice on relevant Life-cycle assessment (LCA) data for use by project partners. The deliverable is a database which gives environmental impact data on Global Warming Potential and Embodied Energy (carbon footprint) for materials and processes relevant to the project.
New research into the use of composite materials aims to reduce bridge costs and provide more durable wind turbines
Bridges constructed with fibre reinforced polymers (composites) may become a familiar sight in Europe if a new pan-European research project achieves its objectives. The project also aims to provide more durable and reliable wind turbines.
Fibre-reinforced plastic may reduce the costs of bridges
They are lightweight, strong, and resistant to corrosion and decay. In the future, bridges in Norway could be made of fibre-reinforced plastic elements, which extend their lifespans and reduce life cycle costs.
12 month meeting
12 month meeting was hosted by Airtificial in Jerez de la Frontiera in Spain, 16th - 17th January.
- 41st Risø International Symposium on Materials Science, 7 - 10 September 2020, Roskilde, Denmark
- "FiBreMoD" Conference in Leuven, Belgium (11-12 December 2019), presenting: PREDICTION OF A FATIGUE LIMIT OF UNIDIRECTIONAL FIBRE COMPOSITES", by Bent F. Sørensen and Stergios Goutianos
- Composites2019, 18-20 September, Girona, Spain.
DACOMAT is presenting:
"Stress intensity range of a debond crack tip – effects of cyclic frictional sliding shear stress", B. F. Sørensen, DTU
"Identification of the cohesive law parameters to maximise the fracture resistance in the presence of multiple cracks", Stergios Goutianos, DTU
"Micromechanical investigations of cross-over fiber bridging", Frode Grytten, SINTEF
- 22nd International Conference on Composite Materials 2019, 11 - 16 August 2019, Melbourne, Australia
- MATCOMP conference, 3rd - 5th July, Vigo, Spain,.
Presenting: Damage controlled composite materials
(DACOMAT): An EU project
Alfredo Guemes UNIVERSIDAD POLITÉCNICA DE MADRID, María Nieves Fuentes Munell, Airtificial
- AB2019 5th International Conference on Structural Adhesive Bonding, 11-12 July, Porto, Portugal
Presenting: Atmospheric plasma treatment of glass fibres for control of interlaminar strength, work from the DACOMAT project, is presented by DJH Cederløf and Y Kusano, DTU
- The international congress on advanced materials science and engineering (AMSE2019), Osaka, 22-24 July 2019
Presenting: Plasma Surface Modification of Glass Fibre Sizing for Manufacturing Polymer Composites. Yukihiro Kusano, Daan J.H. Cederløf, DTU
- AMANAC WORKSHOP, 3rd July 2019, Brussels, Belgium. What kind of built environment for future generations?
Organized by: EnDurCrete project, RESHEALIANCE project, DACOMAT project and AMANAC Cluster
- CeoComp 2019 conference, 19 - 20th June, Coventy, UK.
Presenting: The Need for Product Specific LCAs of Composites – Lessons from the DACOMAT Project and Benchmark impacts of composites, and What we can learn from LCA to optimise their properties. Callum Hill and Andrew Norton, JCH Industrial Ecology Ltd.
- CompTest, Luleå, Sweden, 27 - 29 May, 2019
Presenting: An element test specimen with ply drops to study fatigue crack growth rates at geometry transitions - Stergios Goutiano, Bent F. Sørensen (Technical University of Denmark)
- CompIC 2019 Composites in Construction Conference, 10th - 11th Apr 2019, Amsterdam Science Park, Amsterdam, Netherland.
Presenting: DACOMAT project - scope, vision and approach to FRP in bridges
- IndTech Amanac workshop - Branding innovations beyond the technical, Mon, October 29, 2018, Wienna, Austria https://twitter.com/IndTech2018
- 10th International symposium NDT in Aerospace, 24 – 26 October, Dresden, Germany
- 39th Risø International Symposium on Materials Science, 3-6 September 2018, DTU Roskilde, Denmark
- ESMC 2018, 2 – 6 July, Bologna, Italy
- EMIRI/NAMEC Workshop on advanced materials & nanotechnologies for wind energy, 29 June, Brussel, Belgium
- ECCM18, 25 – 28 June, Athens, Greece
- ECCM-EFCD_2018, 11 – 15 June, Glasgow, GB