- Magnus Korpås
- WP3 Lead
Optimal coordination of renewable sources and storage in energy-constrained power systems
Challenge and objective
- Develop methods for providing cost efficient and safe operation strategies of local power systems with energy storage systems (ESSs) and high levels of variable renewable energy sources (VRESs).
- Develop stochastic optimization methods for operating VRESs and ESSs considering both short- and long-term uncertainties.
- Describe the electricity price formation process in competitve local power systems with ESSs and high level of VRESs.
- Analyse the operation of an islanded microgrid with ESSs and VRESs where the dispatchable generation capacity is a limiting factor.
- Stochastic methods can both reduce the operation costs and reduce the risk of lost load compared to determinstic and rule-based operation strategies.
Impact for distribution system innovation
- Active operation of distributed resources, such as ESSs and demand side flexibility, can reduce operation costs and increase the security of supply.
Reference in CINELDI
- P. Aaslid: "Optimal coordination of renewable sources and storage in energy-constrained power systems", Doctoral thesis, NTNU, June 2022.