- Oddbjørn Gjerde
- WP2 Lead
- SINTEF Energi AS
Study operational coordination between TSO and DSO
Challenge and objective
- Study the level of details in grid model and measurement data exchanges needed for operational level coordination between TSO and DSO.
- The challenges in near real-time network model and data exchanges between TSO and DSO control centers are investigated for a coordinated TSO-DSO reactive power management use case.
- A realistic ICCP/TASE 2 protocol is implemented in laboratory environment where the physical network is simulated in a real-time simulator while optimal set-points are communicated from the control centers to simulated assets using IEC 60870-5-104.
- Three equivalet grid models of the DSO network are compared for TSO operations.
- The DSO equivalent grid models should be developed with a tailored approach for the dynamics considered in specific cases to avoid performance degradation.
- The use of the CGM model for exchanging different levels of DSO equivalent grids has showed its adequacy for such operational coordination.
Impact for distribution system innovation
- A laboratory testsystem is developed in NSGL which can be used to validate different usecases of TSO-DSO operational coordination.
- With this work and with its next activities, DSOs will be able to prepare and model data (especially flexibility related) required for operational coordination with neighbouring DSOs as well as the TSO.
- Magnus Korpås
- WP3 Lead
Reference in CINELDI
- M.Z. Degefa, H. Lundkvist, S. Sanchez-Acevedo, K.N. Gregertsen: "Challenges of TSO-DSO Voltage Regulation Under Real-Time Data Exchange Paradigm". A paper is submitted and under review in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.