- Magnus Korpås
- WP3 Lead
EV fleet charging profile tool for grid planning
Challenge and objective
- Electrification of bus fleets presents challenges to DSOs regarding peak demand and utilization of grid infrastructure.
- The work presents a generic mathematical formulation for a tool to generate the charging profile from EV fleet operators to be used in grid planning and flexibility assessment.
- Developed tool to be used by DSOs for generating charging profiles for electric bus fleets.
- Developed a method to identify the region of flexibility that fleet operators can offer to DSOs.
- Developed method for calculating the simultaneity factor for fleet charging.
- The tool has been tested on scenarios for Trondheim.
- Peak fleet demand varies from 300 kW to 1050 kW.
- Bus fleets can provide flexibility between 40 % and 230 % of their daily energy demand.
Impact for distribution system innovation
- High-resolution EV charging profiles provides better knowledge about peak demand and demand variation, which helps DSOs to plan grid infrastructure rationally.
Reference in CINELDI
- V. Lakshmanan, B.N. Torsæter, H. Sæle, O.A. Hjelkrem: "Charging Profile Generation Tool for Grid Planning and Flexibility Assessment of EV Fleets", SEST 2021.