- Magnus Korpås
- WP3 Lead
Use case for assessment of utilization of flexibility in ancillary services
Challenge and objective
- Increased need for utilization of flexibility due to digitalization, automation and more distributed generation from RES.
- Flexible resources can contribute in ancillary services on different grid levels.
- Need for coordination when several stakeholders (TSO and DSO) request flexibility services from the same resource, also to avoid new imbalances.
- Developed use cases describing how flexible resources can be utilized in ancillary services, such as voltage control, congestion management and balancing.
- A holistic approach considering technical, market and environmental aspects to evaluate utilization of flexibility resources in different ancillary services.
- Geographic location of flexible resources is important in some services (voltage control), and not services related to frequency regulation.
Impact for distribution system innovation
- Increased utilization of flexible resources in ancillary services.
References in CINELDI
- H. Sæle, A.Z. Morch, M.Z. Degefa, I. Oleinikova: "Assessment of flexibility in different ancillary services for the power system", EEM-paper, 2020.
- "Use case for fremtidens systemtjenester" Webinar, Smartgridsenteret, 26. November 2020.