- Gerd Kjølle
- WP6 Lead
- SINTEF Energi AS
Scenarios for the future distribution grid anno 2030-2040
Challenge and objective
- Grid companies, technology providers, market operators etc. need a robust strategy for the cost-efficient transition to the future flexible, intelligent and robust grid. Driving forces and scenarios for the future grid is a useful foundation for this strategy.
- In 2018-2019, driving forces for intelligent electricity grid system innovation were identified and mini scenarios developed through a foresight process. Based on this, four main scenarios are established.
- The two dimensions 'grid customer' and the 'grid' stand out as the most important for the development of the future electricity grid.
- Four scenarios for the future electricity distribution grid in Norway anno 2030-2040 are described: Automated grid, Flexible and intelligent grid, Distribution grid as back-up and Business as usual.
Impact for distribution system innovation
- The scenarios are used as a basis for research and development strategies, human resources, and expertise development, developing demonstration and pilot cases, and the overall company strategies.
References in CINELDI
- H.M. Vefsnmo, T.S. Hermansen, G. Kjølle, K. Sand: "Scenarios for the future electricity distribution grid anno 2030-2040", CINELDI-report no 01:2020 (in Norwegian), 2020.
- G. Kjølle, K. Sand, E. Gramme: Scenarios for the future electricity distribution grid, CIRED 2021.