- Hanne Sæle
- WP3 Lead
- SINTEF Energi AS
Grid battery cost model with degradation
Challenge and objective
- Due to an increasing trend of battery application in the distribution grid, further investigation on impact from battery degradation is advantageous.
- The objective of the work is to evaluate economic impact of battery degradation by combining battery operation and degradation into one optimization model.
- Stochastic modelling of electric vehicle charging Formulation of an optimisation model for battery operation considering degradation.
- Case study of a fast-charging station.
- Evaluation of how time step interval, degradation and grid tariffs affect the economic assessment.
- The battery degradation is related to investment costs rather than the operational costs.
- Higher time resolution increases the economic accuracy significantly.
- Higher power tariffs benefits battery installations.
Impact for distribution system innovation
- Increased understanding of advantages and consequences when applying batteries in the grid.
- Proposed method to quantify economic impact from battery degradation.
References in CINELDI
- E. Haugen, M. Korpås, K. Berg: "Optimization of battery energy storage system: A case study for an electric vehicle fast-charging station", MSc thesis, 2020.
- E. Haugen, K. Berg, B. N. Torsæter, M. Korpås: "Optimisation model with degradation for a battery energy storage system at an EV fast charging station", IEEE Madrid PowerTech, 2021.