- Hanne Sæle
- WP3 Lead
- SINTEF Energi AS
Definition and characterization of services to be provided by flexibility elements
Challenge and objective
- Flexible resources can support and/or avoid contingency situations in transmission and distribution grids, as an alternative to conventional grid extension procedures, e.g. not limited to the installation of new lines or substations.
- The FlexPlan project seeks to develop a software tool to size, locate and estimate the performance of flexibility resources to support this, and elaborate future scenarios of generation and demand.
- Survey of ancillary services (characteristics, evolution and regional specifics at EU level), with main focus on the characterization of congestion management support services, as reference to grid planning.
- Evaluate services where storage and demand response can provide flexibility to the system.
- Overview of service provision requirements defining operational strategy of flexibility resources, together with their technical and economic characterization.
Impact for distribution system innovation
- Assessment of flexibility resources from operational strategy perspective helps to define size, location, cost and performance of the flexibility resources, to be further used in system optimization.