- Magnus Korpås
- WP3 Lead
BATTPOWER: Fast computation Multi-Period OPF
Challenge and objective
- Large-scale integration of Distributed Energy Resources into the power systems distribution grid is crucial for reducing climate gas emisssions. To achieve this, it is of great importance for power system engineers to analyse these resources impact and operate them in a reliable, cost-efficient, and computationally tractable manner.
- A High-Performance Multi-Period Optimal Power Flow Solver is developed for Cost-Efficient Grid Integration of Distributed Energy Resources.
- Multi-Period OPF problems are solved several degree of magnitude faster than by commercial solvers when it comes to large-scale problems both with respect to time and space.
Impact for distribution system innovation
- Planning: Optimising the right type, size and timing of new grid investments.
- Operation: Optimising the use of controllable assets such as ESS and flexible demand to secure, reliable and economic operation of the distribution grids.
References in CINELDI
- S. Zaferanlouei, H. Farahmand, V.V. Vadlamudi, M. Korpås: "BATTPOWER Toolbox: Memory-Efficient and High-Performance MultiPeriod AC Optimal Power Flow Solver", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 2021.
- S. Zaferanlouei, V. Lakshmanan, S. Bjarghov, H. Farahmand, M. Korpås: "BATTPOWER Application: Large-Scale Integration of EVs in an Active Distribution Grid--A Norwegian Case Study", arXiv preprint arXiv:2102.02677, 2021.