- Hanne Sæle
- WP3 Lead
- SINTEF Energi AS
Optimal Operation of Battery Storage for a Subscribed Capacity-Based Power Tariff Prosumer
Challenge and objective
- The cost of peak power for end-users subject to a demand charge may be substantial.
- The objective is to analyse if battery storage can reduce consumer costs while ensuring the longevity of the battery.
- Build optimization model for local PV-battery-load system with grid connection.
- Including battery degradation into the model.
- Perform Norwegian case study based on a swimming facility.
- Battery storage can be beneficial for peak-shaving of swimming facility loads even with todays investment costs.
- Degradation modelling is important to get realistic estimate of economic potential, as degradation may reduce the lifetime by ~1 year.
Impact for distribution system innovation
- Detailed simulation models gives better decision aid for end-users to identify profitable battery investments.
- Practical battery models with degradation, also usable for other applications in the grid.
Reference in CINELDI
- F. Berglund, S. Zaferanlouei, M. Korpås, K. Uhlen: "Optimal Operation of Battery Storage for a Subscribed Capacity-Based Power Tariff Prosumer", Energies 12(23), Nov. 2019.