The PhD and Postdoc positions are carried out as an integrated part of the work packages. Education is an important part of MACROSEA to create a broad knowledge platform.
- Silje Forbord (NTNU)
WP1 & WP2 seedling quality brown species, nutrient (NO3) uptake versus chemical composition in laboratory experiments and at sea as part of the regional monitoring programme. (NTNU, 2016-2020). Tentative title: "Farming of Saccharina latissima (Phaeophyta) in temperate marine waters; Quality, growth and nitrogen metabolism".
Supervisor: Yngvar Olsen (NTNU), co-supervisor: Jorunn Skjermo (SINTEF).
- Sanna Matsson (APN)
WP2 fouling of brown species in laboratory trials and study of regional- , seasonal- and depth-dependency at sea as part of the regional study. (APN, 2016-2020). Tentative title: Fouling of macro epibionts on cultivated Saccharina latissima: local, latitudinal and time dependent variation.
Supervisor: Bodil Bluhm UiT, co-supervisor: Hartvig Christie (NIVA).
- Alexander Thomson (SAMS)
Disease (WP3). (SAMS, 2016-2020). Tentative title: “Seascape genomics in the sugar kelp Saccharina latissima”.
Supervisor: Michele Stanley (SAMS), co-supervisor: Kjersti Sjøtun (UiB)
- Saifullah (NTNU)
Regional- , seasonal- and depth-dependent growth at sea to be decided; WP2 growth, nutrient uptake and biochemical composition (protein and carbohydrate) in the regional study.
Supervisor: Yngvar Olsen (NTNU), co-supervisor: Aleksander Handå (SINTEF).
- Siv Anina Etter (NTNU) on IMTA to be decided.
WP2 nutrient (NH4) uptake versus chemical composition in laboratory experiments and at sea.
Supervisor: Kjell Inge Reitan (NTNU), co-supervisors: Yngvar Olsen (NTNU) and Aleksander Handå (SINTEF).
- Peter Søndergaard Schmedes (DTU Aqua)
Palmaria palmata protocol development and cultivation at sea.
Supervisor: Mette Møller Nielsen, co-supervisor: Kjell Inge Reitan (NTNU)
MSc, BSc, internships and summer students
Master Student M Balasubramaniam (2017) at UiO: WP1 Seedling Biology. MSc-thesis: Veksteksperiment av makroalger med kommersiell interesse; med hovedfokus på Palmaria palmata. Supervisor: Stein Fredriksen (UiO)
Master Student Andreas Eggesvik (2019) at NTNU: WP5 Seedling, Deployment and Harvest Technology. MSc-thesis: Robot for automated seaweed deployment and harvesting. Supervisor: Morten Alver (NTNU), co-supervisors: Torfinn Solvang (SINTEF Ocean).
- Summer Student Emil Scott Bale from NTNU (Product development and materials science) will work within WP5 with focus on seaweed production and harvesting technology. Employed at SINTEF June-August 2017.
- Master student Aires Duarte from University of Porto (WP1 Seedling Biology - gamethophytes). MSc-thesis: Optimization of seedling production using vegetative gametophytes of Alaria esculenta. Supervisor: Isabel Sousa Pinto (CIIMAR/University of Porto), co-supervisor: Jorunn Skjermo. Started at SINTEF September 2016.
- Internship student Raven Cammenga (Hogeschool VHL, University of Applied Sciences Netherland, SINTEF); (WP1 Seedling Biology - gametophytes).
Supervisor: Jorunn Skjermo.
- Master student Vegard Rønning Dahlen at NTNU; WP2 IMTA; N-uptake in S. latissima. MSc-thesis: Characterization of the initial ammonium uptake in Saccharina latissima: Possible implications for an IMTA system with intensive salmon farming.
Supervisor: Kjell Inge Reitan, co-supervisor: Siv Anina Etter.
- Master student Guri Elilla Brodahl at NTNU; WP2 Monitoring programme. MSc-thesis: The effects of variable environmental conditions on growth, nutritional state and protein content in cultivated S. latissima in Norway
Supervisor: Yngvar Olsen, co-supervisors: Silje Forbord.
- Master student Solveig Foldal at NTNU; WP2 Monitoring programme. MSc-thesis: Morfologiske relasjonar til dyrka S. latissima ved tre stasjonar langs Norskekysten
Supervisor: Yngvar Olsen, co-supervisors Ole Jacob Broch, and Silje Forbord.
- Master student Carina Norvik at NTNU: WP6. SCALING AND SIMPLIFIED REPRESENTATION OF AQUATIC VEGETATION IN STEADY FLOW. MSc-thesis: Scaling and simplified representation of aquatic vegetation in a steady flow.
Supervisor: Dag Myrhaug, co-supervisors: Pierre-Yves Henry and Andreas Myskja Lien
- Master student Renate Rimstad Bøe at NTNU; WP1 Palmaria palmata cultivation protocol. MSc-thesis: Investigation of important steps in Palmaria palmata cultivation. Supervisor: Kjell Inge Reitan, co-supervisor: Silje Forbord & Jorunn Skjermo.
- Master student Tonje Næss at UiB; WP3: Analyses of population genetics of Saccharina latissima (sugar kelp) in Norway. MSc-thesis: Analyses of population genetics of Saccharina latissima (sugar kelp) in Norway. Supervisor: Kjersti Sjøtun, co-supervisors: Geir Dahle and Lars Asplin.
- BSc student Sonia Gagen from Clarkson University; WP4 Life-cycle inventories for macroalgae aquaculture.
Supervisor: Shane Rogers (Clarkson).
- BSc student Oliver Evans from University of Akron, Ohio, REU-prorgramme through Clarkson; WP4: Mechanistic model for light (self) shading in kelp cultures.
Supervisor: Shane Rogers.
- Summer student Henriette Dybvik: WP5 Development of new technology for industrial macroalgae cultivation.
Supervisor: Morten Alver.
- Summer and student Carina Norvik: WP6 Design of artificial seaweeds for assessment of hydrodynamic properties of seaweed farms.
Supervisor: Andreas M. Lien.