It all started with the development of insulation systems for spherical tank LNG carriers in collaboration with Moss Rosenberg Verft. More recently, much of the theoretical and experimental laboratory work involved in design dimensioning for spiral wound heat exchangers and the process employed at the Hammerfest LNG plant in northern Norway was carried out in collaboration with Statoil.
We have also developed systems for the small-scale liquefaction of natural gas. These include the SINTEF Mini-LNG concept, which has now been licensed to several companies, including I.M. Skaugen.
Our current client base ranges from the major global oil and gas companies to smaller SMEs. In technical terms, our activities range from basic processes such as natural gas scrubbing and the measurement and estimation of the thermodynamic properties of complex hydrocarbon mixtures, to the development and testing of components and systems.
We are currently working in the following fields
- Concept and system development
- Liquefaction processes and LNG transport concepts
- Component development and testing
- Heat exchangers, loading and offloading concepts and storage tank systems
- Thermodynamic data, heat transfer and pressure loss, and flow phenomena
- Sour gas removal and raw gas scrubbing
- Small-scale liquefaction and LNG distribution
- New natural gas value chains
When developing new components or systems, we generally combine theory with modelling and simulation studies, and experiments. New concepts commonly require experimental verification. Our work is grounded in good thermodynamic libraries, effective procedures for gas mixtures, and component and system models developed over many years. Many of the models are based on programmes developed at SINTEF/NTNU. This provides us with unique opportunities to adapt the models to carry out the evaluation and development of new concepts, both for components and complete facilities.
We typically carry out the following types of project
- Multi-client projects co-funded by industry and the Research Council of Norway
- Projects funded directly by industry in the fields of development, testing and consultation
- Everything from basic skills development projects to applied research