Grid converter reliability challenges
Controllable grid converters will give new reliability challenges
- The high voltage (HV) power grid is assumed to have an increasing impact from Power Electronic Converters
- Voltage Source Converters (VSC) is about to replace current source converters (with thyristors) for continuously increasing voltage and power ratings
- HVDC , SVC, various FACTS device, solid state breakers
- Other controllable devices like for stabilizers, damping, active filters and more...
- The most vulnerable component are the power semiconductor (IGBT) switching devices
- Especially during fault situations (ruggedness criticality)
- New controllable devices may have new and unpredictable operation modes that may give additional wear and tear of components compared to established well-known applications.
- Reliability of high power IGBTs is the project main focus in the research project ReliPE
- Representative high voltage components IGBT modules for multi-MW converter topologies
- Will cover the most relevant types of HV converter topologies