The objective of NOWITECH is pre-competitive research laying a foundation for industrial value creation and cost-effective offshore wind farms. Emphasis is on "deep-sea" (+30 m) including bottom-fixed and floating wind turbines.
Work is focused on technical challenges including a strong PhD and post doc programme:
- Integrated numerical design tools for novel offshore wind energy concepts.
- Energy conversion systems using new materials for blades and generators.
- Novel substructures (bottom-fixed and floaters) for offshore wind turbines.
- Grid connection and system integration of large offshore wind farms.
- Operation and maintenance strategies and technologies.
- Assessment of novel concepts by numerical tools and physical experiments.
Total budget (2009-2017) is + NOK 320 millions / M€ 41 / MUSD 55 cofunded by the Research Council of Norway and NOWITECH partners.
The application to the Research Council of Norway as approved February 2009 gives the basis for the activities of NOWITECH.
* NOWITECH is a Centres for Environment-friendly Energy Research (FME). The objective of the FME scheme for is to establish time-limited research centres which conduct concentrated, focused and long-term research of high international calibre in order to solve specific challenges in the field.The research activity is carried out in close cooperation between prominent research communities and users. The programme is run by The Research Council of Norway.