Case Studies & Innovation - SP6
Industry-driven case studies will be conducted over 1-2 year periods to show emission reduction from implementing technologies on NCS fields. Studies will depend on industry partners making available data necessary to evaluate emission, weight- and cost reduction. The industry will play a vital role in ensuring implementation through in-kind contributions/expertise.
The output will be emission reduction potential and weight/cost data for implementing technologies providing a foundation for spin-offs or DEMO projects for implementing technologies. An important aspect of SP6 will also be to study the economic aspects of technology development through advanced techno-economic analyses. These will be used to assess the implementability of different technologies, to set up business plans and to evaluate IPR and exploitation potential. SP6 will be a facilitator for innovation and technology transfer in LowEmission.
Commercialization following the open innovation model requires an adequate intellectual properties (IP) strategy to maximize value creation for each partner. LowEmission aims to disseminate results whenever possible and at the same time secure IP rights for each partner where necessary.
- Conduct workshops to obtain input from industry partners on selection of case study topics.
- Perform case studies of technology concepts that can reduce offshore emissions by at least 5%. These will include techno-economic analysis of implementability.
- Promote LowEmission innovation through spurring development of novel concepts for offshore power production, energy systems and reduced energy use.
- Focus on technology with cost- and weight reduction potential to promote implementation by 2024.
This SP performs industry-driven case studies over 1-2-year periods to show emission reductions from implementing technologies on the Norwegian Continental Shelf fields. Studies depend on industry partners making the necessary data available to evaluate emission, weight and cost reduction. Industry plays a vital role in ensuring implementation through in-kind contributions/expertise. Studies on the economic aspects of technology development through advanced techno-economic analyses will also be performed.
The main goal of the LowEmission Case studies is to develop technology concepts that lead to a reduction in offshore energy consumption and/or CO2 emissions based on the overall LowEmission objectives. The industry-driven case studies will be conducted over 1-2 year periods to show emission reduction from implementing technologies on fields on the Norwegian Continental Shelf. Studies will depend on industry partners making available data necessary to evaluate emission, weight- and cost reduction.
- A general methodology for the LowEmission case studies was developed
- Input on ideas and selection of case study topics was collected from industry and research partners
- A discussion on field-specific case studies was initiated between Repsol and the research partners
- Several concepts for both generic cases and a field-specific study were developed. Further evaluation of those will continue in 2020 in a close dialogue with LowEmission industry partners
Impact and innovations
- Development of 2-4 novel concepts for Phase I: Case Potential integrating low emission technologies into existing and greenfield offshore energy systems, whereas 1-2 of these cases will Energy Supply and Demands KPIs CO2 equiv. emissions progress into Phase II of the case studies for detailed performance evaluation.
- Use of Innovation strategies funding in 2020 is expected to boost activities in LowEmission which have been identified by industry partners to have high impact and short-term implementability potential.