LowEmission aims to develop technologies and solutions needed to reduce offshore greenhouse gas emissions on the NCS in line with the emission goals of the petroleum industry. The target emission goals set by the Centre are visualized in the figure and involve reducing offshore emissions with 40% within 2030 and to move towards zero emissions in 2050
Sub-objectives of LowEmission are to:
- Develop solutions for co-optimizing power supply and demand in the offshore energy system.
- Reduce cost of LowEmission O&G technologies by 5-50 %.
- Develop a digital energy management tool for planning energy use of fields and the CO2 footprint of operational choices over the life of the field including short- and long-term uncertainty.
- Provide 10-15 innovative solutions for offshore emission reductions.
- Generate 8 KPN, 10 IPN, 4 DEMO and 4 EU spin-off projects.
- Educate 19 PhD students/postdocs, 30 MSc candidates, and training, recruitment of 20 experts in offshore low-emission technologies.
- Disseminate and communicate project results in 70 journal and conference papers, present in O&G specific workshops and meetings such as ONS and OTC, and disseminate news articles.
- Perform brown and green-field case studies to demonstrate actual emission reductions.
The successful outcome of LowEmission will allow the oil and gas industry to:
- Facilitate rapid deployment of low-emission technologies and system solutions that reduce offshore O&G related GHG emissions.
- Increase value creation in the Norwegian O&G industry.
- Commercialise products based on LowEmission results in the international market.
- Create new digitalized decision-support and planning tools for operators and vendors.
- Perform relevant case studies with emphasis on the system perspective.