Future production of Second Generation Biofuels in Norway requires building of long term competence in thermochemical biomass conversion (i.e. gasification). GasBio aimed to fulfil this national need. It addressed key elements of processes for large scale production of synthetic diesel from wood and forest resources, as well as processes for smaller scale production of biofuels from forest, household and industrial waste fractions. This complex task was divided into six subprojects (SP), each subproject is itself divided into several work packages (WP).
- SP1 Fuel supply and fuel knowledge
- SP2 Gasification technology, design and operation
- SP3 Laboratory experiments and Modelling for Scale-up
- SP4 Gasification process plant analysis and synthesis
- SP5 Education and training
- SP6 Technology monitoring and dissemination
SP1 Fuel supply and fuel knowledge
The objectives of SP1:
- Identify technically and economically biomass and biomass blends and degree of local processing for optimal feedstock sourcing.
- To study alternative pre-treatment options – as seen from the gasifier side. The tasks of this WP will be coordinated with work carried out in CenBio. This WP will establish a contact with the newly established KMB called STOP, which focus on the torrefaction technology.
SP2 Gasification technology, design and operation
The objectives of SP2:
- To examine existing knowledge on fluid / moving bed gasifiers. Propose improved designs and operation methods
- To examine existing knowledge on entrained flow gasifiers and propose improved designs and operation methods
- To establish effective recovery methods for heat contained in the hot product gas leaving the gasifier, with emphasis on power production and biomass drying. Reference case is water quench or a "chemical quench" using char.
- To describe present state-of-the-art for processing steps between the gasifier and the fuel synthesis step
SP3 Laboratory experiments and Modelling for Scale-up
The objectives of SP3:
- To establish suitable laboratory facilities and perform fluid bed related gasification experiments, providing the experimental data required for fluid bed gasifier scale-up and design
- To establish suitable laboratory facilities and perform entrained flow related gasification experiments, providing the experimental data required for entrained flow gasifier scale-up and design
- To model, simulate and optimize promising gasifier designs, in order to reduce the risks involved in gasifier scale-up
SP4 Gasification process plant analysis and synthesis
The objectives of SP4:
- To perform plant-wide analyses and optimize mass and heat flows to achieve as high energy efficiencies as possible
- Determine how plant size affects conversion cost for the whole plant
- Use the models and experimental results obtained through the project to examine the overall technical, economic and environmental viability of selected case studies.
SP5 Education and training
The major objectives of SP5 are long-term competence building and strengthening of the education of MSc and PhD students within this field, and further enhancing competence through Postdoctoral work. Industrial seminars will contribute to raise the competence level in the industry
SP6 Technology monitoring and dissemination
The main objectives of SP6 are to participate in key international research forums, to monitor the latest international research and technology developments and to disseminate this information together with the results obtained through this project.