CO2 transport, injection and storage – WP2
WP2 focuses on CO2 storage and on the transport-storage interface. As can be seen from the below table, the work will utilize a wide variety of first-class research infrastructure. As illustrated below, the WP is characterized by a strong collaboration with the ultimate goal to de-risk CO2 storage. To this end, WP2 will
- Develop an accurate property model for CO2-brine in the presence of impurities.
- Mature and validate tools for the safe, efficient and cost-effective design and operation of CO2 pipelines and injection wells.
- Perform petrophysical chemical analyses for the characterization and selection of storage sites in Switzerland.
- Design and perform decameter-scale experiments at the Mt Terri research rock laboratory to un-derstand the role of CO2 injection in modifying fault/fracture permeability through seismic and/or aseismic reactivation.
- Reduce uncertainties in injection, storage and monitoring of CO2 produced by NG reforming for H2 production
|Vertical flow: data and experience to be used by operators when developing designs and operational procedures for vertical wells||Pilot-scale||SINTEF|
|Pipe and vessel depressurization (ECCSEL): Experimental facility for validation of transport and injection simulation tool necessary for obtaining safe and efficient design and operation of CO2 pipelines and injection systems.||Lab-scale||SINTEF|
|Core-flooding laboratory (special core analysis, SCAL) including X-ray CT and PET imaging||Lab-scale||ICL|
|Batch-reactor system for the study of mineral-dissolution kinetics||Lab-scale||ICL|
|High-temperature high-pressure view cells for independent quantification of CO2-brine-mineral contact angle, interfacial tension and phase behaviour||Lab-scale||ICL|
|Hydrothermal laboratory (ECCSEL): Experimental laboratory facility for measurement and analysis of chemical and mineralogical changes caused by stored CO2 on reservoir rocks, cap rocks and the impact on borehole infrastructure||Lab-scale||BGS|
|Geo-microbiology laboratory (ECCSEL): microbial responses to minor components in CO2 stream||Lab-scale||BGS|
|Rock deformation laboratory (ECCSEL): measurement of geomechanical properties at reservoir conditions||Lab-scale||BGS|
|Micro-seismic monitoring arrays for site selection and monitoring||Lab-scale||SCCER (ETH, EPFL)|
|Mt. Terri research rock laboratory (UGL): decameter-scale experiment to understand the role of CO2 injection in modifying fault/fracture permeability through seismic and/or aseismic reactivation||Pilot-scale||SCCER|
Overview of WP2 CO2 transport, injection and storage.
WP2 consists of the following tasks.
- Task 2.1 Thermodynamic property model for CO2-brine (RUB, ICL)
- Task 2.2 Well dynamics (SINTEF)
- Task 2.3 Petrophysics and chemistry for site characterization and selection (ICL)
- Task 2.4 Mt. Terri experiment: Fault slip and trapping (FST) (SCCER)
- Task 2.5 Understanding the impact of H2 in a CO2-rich stream on the storage strata (BGS, SCCER)
Contact: , SINTEF
Research-performing partners: SINTEF, BGS, SCCER, ICL, RUB