The overall objective of this project is to optimise the biocarbon value chain for the metallurgical industry through:
- Production of biocarbon with sufficient quality satisfying the end user quality requirements while ensuring optimum utilisation of the by-products.
- Optimised sourcing of Norwegian forest resources for biocarbon production towards the specific metallurgical processes.
- Maximising the energy and cost efficiency of the biocarbon value chain for the metallurgical industry.
The sub-objectives are:
- Identifying optimum forest resources for the specific metallurgical processes.
- Identifying and optimizing carbonisation processes and conditions to produce optimum yields and qualities.
- Developing methods for upgrading and tuning biocarbon quality to increase its suitability for the specific metallurgical processes, and methods for upgrading the by-product tar to higher value products.
- Developing fundamental knowledge of biocarbon behaviour in and influence on the specific metallurgical processes and biocarbon impact on product quality.
- Increasing expertise throughout the biocarbon value chain for the metallurgical industry.
- Educating highly skilled candidates within this area and training of industry partners.
- Monitoring activities and state-of-the-art practice within this area and disseminating knowledge to industry partners, and other interested parties where applicable.